A Travellerspoint blog

Puerto Rico Day 5: Bienvenidos a Vieques

We were up and ready to go by 10a but needed to figure out how to get all our luggage in the car without hauling it down the block to the parking garage. We decided that Alex would go get the car and I would stack everything in the entryway with the bassinet. There was nowhere to park on the road so we had to stop in the street blocking traffic to load. An officer came over and gave us some grief so Alex had to drive around the block while I got the rest of our stuff out. Finally it was all in the car and we set off from Old San Juan to Ceiba airport about an hour away.

Google found us a sushi spot on the way so we stopped in for lunch. What a disappointment! We were served what was basically canned tuna and crab. Ugh. We made it to the airport and checked in about 1.5 hours before our 3p flight. The waiting area was about the size of our livingroom. They had a flight to Vieques ready to go so they let us go ahead early. We walked to our puddle jumper for the 10 minute flight.


It was just us and a husband/wife and their two kids.


Looking back after take off.

Arriving on Vieques.

We landed and our rental car wasn't quite ready since we were earlier than planned. Our vrbo lessor was kind enough to meet us at the airport and drive us to the rental car place to pick up our Bronco. He waited for us to get the car then we followed him to the house to check in. We rented a two bedroom, two bath house right on the water in the little town of Isabela.

The house was pretty but had an odd layout. When you walked in the door, there was an outside courtyard and a long outdoor hallway to the livingroom, kitchen, dining area.




From the long hallway, there were stairs leading down to the pool and a bedroom/bathroom.





Back upstairs on the other side of the courtyard was another bedroom/bathroom.


The steps and pathway down to the beach.

The terrible sushi lunch didn't go very far and we were hungry again. We drove a little ways down the road to a food truck park for some yummy tacos.


We made a pit stop at the grocery store on the way back home then relaxed at the house until dinnertime.

The ferry terminal was just down from our house.

For dinner, we made the drive south to Esperanza, the other "town" on the island. We had to dodge the free roaming horses and chickens all along the way.

Esperanza was more of a tourist town so the food selections were mostly bar type food. We stopped in at Duffy's for some boiled shrimp, fries, and salad.

On the way back home we passed by a gym where some guys were playing basketball. Alex dropped me off at the house and he walked down to watch them play for a little bit. Turned out to be some very untalented younger kids. I spent that time hanging out in the pool under the moonlight. I think I had the better deal.

Posted by zihuatcat 04:34 Archived in Puerto Rico Tagged puerto rico alex vieques

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.